Sunday, 28 October 2012

Assignment 2


With Assignment 2 being due this Friday, I had the goal of finishing it this weekend. Unfortunately, this does not look like it’s going to end up happening. I did however spend a lot of time this weekend looking over the lecture slides from the past few weeks (ever since we started the topic of time complexity).  Even though I was mentioning last week that the tutorials and lectures have been very helpful and that I understand the topic much more, I still did not get much of a chance during the week to practice. On Saturday, I sat down and started working through the problems for Assignment 2. For the second question, since it’s similar to questions we have done in class and tutorial, I forced myself to not look at those examples and try it out on my own. Once I did, I looked at the examples and noticed that for the most part, I was on the right track. This is a huge improvement from last week were I didn’t have even the slightest idea of how to do any problems of this type. Question one was where the problems arose. To figure out a recursive definition, I decided to just start listing all of the odd maximal contiguous ones free strings in the set of binary strings of various lengths. Then I started looking to see what happens as the length increases to see if I could find a pattern. I came up with a formula but I have no idea how to get to a closed form. For the most part though, the weekend was quite productive. Getting more practice doing problems has definitely been a big help.

No comments:

Post a Comment