Sunday, 7 October 2012

Favourite Proof and First Test


Hi everyone!

I am really excited to be posting my very first blog! I hope everyone has been having a good Thanksgiving long weekend. Mine so far has been fairly uneventful. I have however, now that Assignment 1 is done, started to study for our first test. Looking back at the past lecture slides, I came across a proof that I really enjoyed. Although we did not finish it in class, I had a fun time struggling to come up with a solution. Which one? It was the chocolate bar proof where you had to determine how many breaks any m x n chocolate bar can be broken up with. I think one of the reasons I particularly enjoyed this proof is that before, I didn’t quite understand complete induction. Working through the problem showed me how useful complete induction really was. Also, I found it quite interesting that no matter how you broke up the chocolate bar, it would always require the same amount of breaks.

Anyway, now that I have gotten a better grasp of complete induction (hopefully), I have moved on to another concept I can’t quite understand: the principle of well-ordering. I have been looking online to see how well-ordering and mathematical induction imply one another but have so far not gained much more insight. Hopefully by Thursday things will all be clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment